A mom friend of mine recently turned 40 and when she did, she did it with such amazing style: A weeklong vacation in the Caribbean complete with scuba diving, playing in the sand with her children and just enjoying life. I was inspired. In just two short years I will be 30 and, while I have accomplished many of the standard life milestones early (husband, kids, etc), there is still a lot I would like to do before I hit the big 3-0. My Bucket List. If you have never heard of bucket lists then pull up a chair.
A Bucket List is a list of all the goals you want to achieve, dreams you want to fulfill and life-experiences you desire to experience before your time here on the third rock is done. Why have a bucket list? Because life gets away from us! If you don’t live your days you’re your own priorities and goals in mind, chances are you will spend most of your time caught up in a flurry of activity or worse, living someone else’s dreams for you.
Do you ever feel your days are passing by without any tangible output to speak of? What were your accomplishments in the past 3 months? What are your upcoming goals for the next 3 months? Look at the things you did and the things you’re planning to do next. Would these things mean anything to you if you were to die today? Having a bucket list reminds you of what’s really important so you can act on it.
A bucket list opens up the context of your to do list and stretches your imagination. It’s a forum to set anything and everything you’ve ever wanted to do, whether it’s big, small or random. It’s like planning ahead for all of the highlights you want for your whole life.
The objective of creating a bucket list isn’t to instill some kind of a race against time or to create an aversion towards death, but to focus on the things that matter and a reminder of all the things we want to achieve in our time here.
I have three lists in this section. The first is the Bucket List of things I want to do by the time I’m 30. This is the pressing Bucket List and I will be posting accomplishments from it on this blog from time to time. The second list is my Lifetime list. The last is where you’ll find the list of Bucket List items I have accomplished. Some items will have a story and a picture to go along with them, others will not, but this page will contain all of my “crossed off” items.
Create Your Own Bucket List
If you don’t have a bucket list, I highly recommend that you create one. How much does it cost? A little bit of time. What do you gain? Significant clarity and focus on what you want from your life. It’s an invaluable exchange.
If you have already written your bucket list, take this opportunity to review it. See if there are new items you want to add-on. If so, add them in. Check if all the items listed are still relevant. If not, remove them. Feel free to use my lists as inspiration or use the exercise below to create your Bucket List.
Bucket List Exercise
Start writing down what comes to mind as you read these questions:
- What if you were to die tomorrow? What would you wish you could do before you die?
- What have you always wanted to do but have not done yet?
- What will you do if you have unlimited time, money and resources?
- Any countries, places or locations you want to visit?
- What are your biggest goals and dreams?
- What things or events do you want to see in person?
- What achievements do you want to have?
- What experiences do you want to have or feel?
- Are there any special moments you want to witness?
- What activities or skills do you want to learn or try out?
- What are the most important things you can ever do?
- What would you like to say/do together with other people? People you love? Family? Friends?
- Are there any specific people you want to meet in person?
- What do you want to achieve in these different areas: Social, Love, Family, Career, Finance, Health, Spiritual?
- What do you need to do to lead a life of the greatest meaning?
Come up with as many items as you can. The items should be things you have not done yet. If you find yourself stuck, chances are you are mentally limiting/constraining yourself. Release those shackles! This is a list of everything you want to achieve, do, see, feel and experience in your life.
Once you are finished, feel free to share some of the items here or with your friends on Twitter and Facebook.